Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My 5 Most Exciting Upcoming Games for Xbox 360 (Part 2)

4. Halo: Reach

I know this seems like a cop out. Virtually everyone who owns an Xbox has at least played a Halo game, if they aren't completely obsessed with the series. It is on every list of exciting upcoming titles. Reach will undoubtedly do exceptionally well in sales, and in all likelyhood, Bungie will have created an absolute monster title. That being said, it comes in at number four for a few important reasons.

Halo games have always found success in their utter simplicity. Here is a gun. You shoot it at bad guys. Here are some grenades. You throw them. You can jump with this button, reload with this one, and off you go. As a player, there isn't a lot you need to know. Halo multiplayer works so well, in part because of the great matchmaking system, but mostly because combat is so simple that it can be refined to perfection. It is the classic "easy to learn, hard to master" gimmick.

Frankly, I'm just a bit tired with the franchise. It has been a good run, but Halo: Combat Evolved came out in 2001. It has been a blockbuster series for nine years. I am happy to hear this will be the last Halo game Bungie is actively involved in developing. Oh I'll buy it. I'm really excited to play the single player campaign, and I'll lose hours in the online multiplayer. But the old girl is tired. And it is time to put her to bed.

On an unrelated note, the next video games developed by Bungie Studios will have my complete attention. I'm looking for the next great game/series, and I know Bungie could well deliver.



Video is property of IGN.

1 comment:

  1. I want to go ahead and say that on the eve of Halo: Reach- I am pumped. I am really looking forward to playing this title. I just finished playing through the original Halo trilogy and it has got me in the mood to play some new material. I know this is only #4 on the list, but I must say that I am truly excited for the release. Hope the Covy's are ready for some DMR rounds in the brain!

    ReplyDelete